- Develop Accounting Department priorities and strategic initiatives, including changes to accounting standards and tax law.
- Set objectives of the Accounting Department to align with the overarching mission and vision of the Company.
- Work in collaboration with executive leadership and participate in key decisions as a member of the Senior Management Team.
- Identify and apply external trends and best practices through benchmarking and indicate the impact of implementation.
- Integrate accounting staff into Operations to support project teams.
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions.
- Implement appropriate internal and project controls and mechanisms to ensure the appropriate safeguarding of all assets and proper recording of transactions.
- Ensure compliance with financial reporting requirements.
- Develop systems, tools and processes in order to implement strategic planning initiatives and compliance items.
- Implement platforms and processes using best practices for continuous improvement.
- Confer with upper management about budgeting and reviewing strategies to meet overall goals and objectives.
- Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for ensuring accurate accounting of consolidated business results and financial statements, in accordance with GAAP.
- Manage any joint venture accounting and reporting.
- Review and approve monthly and quarterly reporting packages.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report on any variances.
- Implement policies and procedures as appropriate based on audit results or other findings.
- Evaluate departmental performance and make adjustments to daily operations when needed to ensure the department meets overall goals and objectives.
- Mentor and assist in managing the Accounting Team.
- Develop and maintain an accounting workforce with the appropriate mix of business knowledge and technical skills, ensuring the core accounting functions are reliable, stable and efficient.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business or related field required and MBA or CPA highly valued.
- Strong management experience with the ability to coach and train staff.
- Highly motivated, highly organized, diligent, creative, and focused self-starter.
- Experience in researching and documenting technical accounting issues.
- Superior analytical skills, logical in problem-solving and focused on continuous improvement with high attention to detail and a strong work ethic.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to interact well with all levels within the Company.
- Polished professional demeanor with strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- 10-15+ years of experience at a senior level and a minimum of 7+ years of direct supervisory experience/leading teams is required.
- Public accounting background and construction accounting experience highly valued.